Presented in coordination with JEN (Jazz Education Network) and the Brubeck Living Legacy (BLL) Foundation, The Dave Brubeck Composer and Pianist Scholarship is awarded to a collegiate-level student in the field of jazz, with a focus on composition and/or piano.
The winner of this prestigious scholarship receives the following:
- $1000 financial scholarship awarded in May.
- The book, “Dave Brubeck: A Life in Time,” by Philip Clark
- A collection of Dave Brubeck recordings
- Registration for the next Jazz Education Network (JEN) conference in January.
- Designated mentor throughout the January conference.
- $250 per diem for meals throughout the conference.
- 4 nights hotel lodging during the conference reserved by the Jazz Education Network.
- Roundtrip flight + taxi/car pickup to/from airport arranged by the Jazz Education Network.
- One-year full individual Jazz Education Network membership.
2022 Scholarship Recipient
Congratulations to 2022 Scholarship Recipient, Joey Curreri
Joey’s instrument is the trumpet. In 2021, Joey won 2nd place at the Carmine Caruso International Jazz Trumpet Solo Competition. Joey has been selected as a semifinalist in the National Trumpet Competition’s jazz division in both his first and second years of college. In high school, Joey was selected as the jazz trumpet finalist in the National YoungArts competition, a member of the the 2017 and 2018 Grammy Camp Jazz Session Big Band, a member of the 2017 and 2018 Thelonious Monk Peer-to-Peer All-Star Sextet (touring Dallas  and San Diego  and performing with Delfeayo Marsalis, Bobby Broom, and Lisa Henry), and toured Japan as a member of the 2018 Next Generation Jazz Orchestra.
Joey Curreri is a jazz trumpeter and composer from Marina del Rey, California. He is currently a senior at the University of Miami Frost School of Music, studying with Brian Lynch and Stephen Guerra. As shared by his instructor, “His compositions and arrangement show maturity and complexity beyond his experience level. Joey has developed a personal compositional voice and is prolific in his output.”
Joey formed the Joey Curreri Quintet in 2019. It includes Dylan Mcchan on Tenor Sax, Connor Rohrer on piano, Patrick Leavy and Mike Ramos on bass, and Marcello Carelli on drums.